Registration is now open for the Northern California Prescribed Fire Council annual meeting, coming up April 23-24 in Mt. Shasta, CA! As always, we're excited to bring friends and colleagues together from all over the region to see some examples on the ground and hear the latest on prescribed fire policy, training, science, etc.
View Eventbrite Page for registration >
View Flyer PDF >
View Agenda PDF >
For this meeting, we will plan to meet in Mt. Shasta at 11 am on Monday, April 23 for a field tour/demonstration burn (details TBA). That evening, we'll head to the Mt. Shasta Resort for an evening social and dinner, and then we'll spend all day there on Tuesday hearing from various presenters. As usual, we'll build in plenty of time for networking and discussion.
- A local history of light burning, Eric Knapp, USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Research Station
- Storytelling by Carl Skinner, who served as the Fuels Management Officer on the Mt. Shasta Ranger District many years ago!
- A weather enterprise approach to burn planning, John (Brent) Wachter, USDA Forest Service, and Brett Lutz, National Weather Service California’s first prescribed burn association: an update from Humboldt County, Lenya Quinn-Davidson, UC Coop. Extension
- Update on California’s prescribed fire policy efforts, Nick Goulette, Watershed Research and Training Center
- Reflections from a burn boss, Norb Szczurek, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District (retired) and Nevada Rx Fire Alliance
- As well as an update from the Natural Resources Conservation Service on their Rx fire policy, a presentation from a visiting fire researcher from Australia, and much more!
For more information, visit the website at www.norcalrxfirecouncil.org or contact Lenya at email@example.com
Full event (both days, including dinner on Monday and breakfast and lunch on Tuesday: $65
April 23 only (includes dinner): $30
April 24 only (includes breakfast and lunch): $45
We've set up room blocks in two places. The first is a 20-room block at the Best Western Plus Tree House in Mt. Shasta. To reserve, call the hotel directly at 530-926-3101 by March 23rd. Rooms may be available after that but won't be guaranteed. The Best Western is only a couple miles from the meeting venue.
We've also reserved rooms at the Mt. Shasta Resort. Their rooms are a little different, and include opportunities for sharing if anyone is interested in that:
- 10 Woodland rooms (2 Queen Beds hotel room style) Price $90 + Tax per night.
- 6 One bedroom apartments (Bedroom has King Bed, living room has Queen Sleeper Sofa) $123 + Tax per night
- 4 Two bedroom apartments (Bedroom 1 has King Bed, Bedroom 2 has two twin beds, living room has Queen Sleeper Sofa) $189 + Tax
If you are interested in reserving one of these rooms, or in finding someone to share with, email Lenya <firstname.lastname@example.org> and be added to the list. This room block will be released on April 1.
The registration deadline is April 9.